This week is devoted to sharing some of the great hygiene products the empower couple uses and/or makes on the reg that you might be interested in if you’re looking for ways to reduce your impact on the environment. Try not to be intimidated if that interest is new to you…all of these things are easy to obtain or make and you can always take your time and try one swap at a time!
- First up, the one I’ve been using the longest: homemade toothpaste! I’ve been using this recipe for over a year and I really like it. It admittedly takes getting used to – it’s saltier than store bought toothpaste, more liquid-y and not foamy – but it does the trick and doesn’t use any of that plastic packaging that isn’t recyclable! (Buy your baking soda in the recyclable cardboard box, reuse the jar from your coconut oil and recycle or reuse your oil bottle.) The recipe is basically just two to one oil to baking soda. So 1 cup coconut oil to ½ cup baking soda and then add your peppermint oil to your liking (I usually use about 20 drops for those amounts of oil and soda). Check out this instructional video here.
- Deodorant! Not only does basically every deodorant come in plastic containers, but they’re full of questionable ingredients. I use this recipe and love it. I use lavender essential oil instead of the recommended tea tree oil and please don’t buy any of your oil at Walmart like the blogger suggests. Otherwise it’s a great article! Homemade deodorant takes getting used to because you need to put it on with your hands (I haven’t tried putting it in an old deodorant container) but it is definitely worth it!
- Reusable, washable cotton pads instead of cotton balls. Check out these ones.
- Periods can be a suuuuuper wasteful time of the month. But it doesn’t have to be! I LOVE these cloth pads. Like lots of eco-friendly products, they’re more money up front but less money in the long run. I was kind of timid about trying these at first but I’m so glad I did.
- Some period-havers really like the Diva Cup. Check it out if that seems more your bag, baby.
- Homemade laundry soap…which the empower couple literally made together a few months ago. We used this recipe but halved it since it’s intended to make a lot and you need a big bucket which we didn’t have. This isn’t for the faint of heart since you do need a good number of ingredients (I had trouble finding the super washing soda…finally found it at my local hardware store of all places!) but is really worth it because it lasts a long time and you know exactly what goes in it!
- Theseare the toothbrushes I use, made with bamboo and completely plant based – including the packaging!
- Check out these condoms from Sustain – a Vermont-based company. They use fair trade rubber, don’t test on animals, and leave out gross, unnecessary chemicals. A must if you like gettin’ down while saving the planet.
- Coconut oil! Use it! It’s great for a variety of things beyond cooking. I just made a face scrub with coconut oil, coconut sugar and tea tree oil. I LOVE IT. It leaves my face feeling so soft! People joke about coconut oil being the answer to everything health and beauty related…because it kind of is.
This is a nice sampling of a wide variety of options and swaps. We talk about this here because feminism is caring for and about marginalization, and there’s little else more marginalized than our Mother Earth. Please let us know if you have questions about anything I posted today, I would never want your unanswered questions to be the reason you don’t try something new and more sustainable! Our email is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Have fun saving the planet!